Pray this Prayer For Emotional Eating when you’re struggling with emotional eating on your weight loss journey.
Emotional eating is such a big struggle and, in our culture, eating for emotional reasons is acceptable and even encouraged!
- You just broke up with your boyfriend? Go drown your sorrows in a pint of ice cream!
- Did you have a stressful day at work? Go out for pizza and wine!
- Need an escape from your screaming toddler? Hide in the pantry with a chocolate bar!
You get the picture.
There are 1,001 ways we can eat emotionally and, as someone who has been morbidly obese and lost 100 pounds, I’ve done most of them and none of them helped.
I got to the point where I felt out of control around food and I was spiraling downward. Then I heard God’s voice in my emotional eating and everything changed.
It wasn’t just about me anymore. I wasn’t alone. So, instead of running straight to food when I had a hard day, I started asking God for help. That’s the heart behind the prayer below, one I have prayed so many times myself.
Prayer For Emotional Eating
Heavenly Father, I’m struggling right now. I am having really big emotions right now and I feel like eating them away. I’m so tempted to run to food instead of to You right now. You feel so far away while food feels so close to me. It feels like a tangible thing I can do to make myself feel better.
But I know that’s a lie. Food won’t make me feel better. It tastes good, of course, but it doesn’t fix anything and next time I’m going to want to eat even more.
Lord, will You teach me a better way to respond to my emotions? I want to offer myself up to You as a living sacrifice right now but it feels so uncomfortable. I’m used to eating. It feels so much more comfortable to eat than to sit in these emotions.
But You have called me higher and I know that running to You instead of food will be so much more satisfying than any junk food could ever be. Help me to remember that food will never satisfy the deepest longings of my heart – only You can do that.
Show me a way out when I’m tempted by my food cravings. Surround me with supportive friends and family members who can encourage me, support me, hold me accountable, and keep my eyes fixed on You in the good times and painfully difficult.
Teach my heart to desire You above all. Help me to lean into Your strength in this area where I feel hopelessly weak.
Draw me nearer to You. I need You. I love You.
In Jesus’ Name, amen.
Ready To Overcome Your Emotional Eating?
We understand the struggles of emotional eating so well. In our Faithful Finish Lines 2.0 Christian weight loss program, we have a stage devoted entirely just to emotional eating where we help you:
- Recognize emotional eating in your life and learn tools to break the pattern.
- Learn healthy ways to respond to your feelings.
- Receive our helpful list of tools and strategies to use the next time you’re tempted to eat for reasons other than physical hunger.
- Recognize God’s voice vs the enemy’s voice in your thoughts.
- Break the chains that are keeping you stuck in your weight loss journey by taking thoughts captive.
- Break the cycle of boredom eating, weekend eating, stress eating, and nighttime snacking.
Click here to join our Faithful Finish Lines 2.0 program where we have helped hundreds of women lose weight in a faith-based, grace-focused way. We’d love for you to join our FFL family!